The alarm sounded louder and more sadistic than usual, almost as if granting me even an additional minute of sleep was an unspeakable crime. The daily grind lay ahead. Somehow, I mustered enough strength to pull myself out of bed and walked into the bathroom only to find that there was no hot water. I couldn't really remember the last time there was a hot water supply interruption. Even as I was fuming at the apartment authorities, I couldn't help thinking how much I had taken certain basic amenities such as hot water, fully functioning toilets and electricity for granted.
Back in India, water supply was a luxury. A bucket of water really meant a lot, especially in the searing hot weather. The marginal utility of a bucket of water was quite high! But with an unabated supply of both hot and cold water, the US made me complacent. I have become used to letting the shower run for a minute or two so that the water heats up before I get in. My own guess is that I have wasted close to 4000 gallons of water since I have arrived in the United States! It's clearly time for me to mend my ways.
I am convinced that the louder-than-usual alarm call this morning was a wake up call in more ways than one!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment