Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The Republican CNN-YouTube Debate

I watched the CNN-YouTube Republican debate tonight, more for amusement than anything else. I must say I was pleasantly surprised by what some Republican Presidential candidates said.

In response to a question on controlling the growing US debt, two candidates said that they would consider completely restructuring the Department of Homeland Security. They couldn't be more right. From the bizarre airport security check policies to the more serious FEMA failures during Katrina, the DHS has been nothing but a miserable failure. To be sure, every country has a right to protect itself from religious fanatics who want to blow themselves up. The intent behind the formation of DHS was well-justified, but the execution since then has been laughable.

I refuse to believe that "randomly searching" prescription medicines of a sixty-five year old before boarding the plane makes air travel any safer. I refuse to believe that packing "travel-size" toothpastes, shaving creams and other toiletries in ziplock bags shuts out lunatic radicals. Ensuring that these ludicrous requirements are adhered to by the millions of travelers will require man power, and man power is not cheap in the United States. How about relocating these resources to areas where they are actually needed. Such as emergency management during hurricanes, for instance.

The DHS ought to be a priority for whoever gets elected as the next President of the United States. Let's hope good sense prevails and the current policies receive a much-needed overhaul.

No comments: